Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Our Next President

I figured I'd better go ahead and post this before Super Tuesday, so it'll be more believable (just want to be able to say, "I told you so"). Since mid-December 2007, I have been predicting that the Republican nominee will be Mitt Romney and that he would probably choose John McCain as his Vice President, and that the Democratic nominee would be Barack Obama who would possibly choose John Edwards as his Vice Presidential candidate. I believe that in the end, the Obama/Edwards ticket squeaks by to win the White House.

My feeling was that Thompson was done from the beginning because he was essentially disinterested, Huckabee would lag because of his strong religious values and the lack of a presidential "look", and Guliani would just flame out because of way too much baggage. I also felt that Edwards is just too smooth and untrustworthy, and Clinton has way too many negatives.

Unfortunately, the first time I actually published this on the Internet, to some scepticism I might add, was on December 31, 2007 on Ned Williams' WisdomIsVindicated blog, and on January 4, 2008 on Newscoma's blog. However, it is interesting to see how things are developing.

Thompson has dropped out, and Guliani is sure to follow shortly. McCain and Romney are neck and neck, but ultimately, I believe it will be Romney who will take the lead because of perceived strength of leadership and age.

On the "progressives" side - though Clinton is still ahead as far as delegates are concerned, Obama is moving up quickly and will surpass her. The excitement he creates with his message, youth, and honesty resonates well with a populace that is tired, confused, angry, and seeking hope and change. She is definitely in defensive mode and feels that she is quickly losing her grip on the nomination as has been evidenced over the past few days.

Though I am not ready to vote for a Democrat, I've got to be honest, Obama does inspire and excite something deep inside me. Let's see what happens. What do you think?

No comments: